The volume of next-generation sequencing data generated has given rise to new challenges. One of these is the growing cost of storage. Spiral Encrypted Compression (SpEC) is an alternative to the BAM format for storing read and alignment data.
• Truly lossless compression: SpEC has been built from the ground up to ensure the integrity of your data. What you put in is what you will get out, bit-for-bit; we even keep the field orders for you. You can compress any BAM file regardless of what aligner was used to create it.
• Reduced storage costs: Infrastructure costs are often a burden around next-generation sequencing. With compression to at most 60% of the original file size, SpEC will extend your cycle time to purchase storage infrastructure. If you are storing a large amount of sequence data already, you can reclaim that storage space immediately and push back the purchase of storage even further.
• Encryption: Data is highly sensitive. It is important that the identities of the people from whom you collect data and your intellectual property are protected. AES-256 encryption is standard with SpEC and is in accordance with the HIPAA Security Rule.
• Works with your existing tools: You can use the compressed files as you would a regular BAM or FASTQ file, without decompressing. Contact us to see if the tools you use are supported.
• No format lock-in: You can always uncompress the SpEC files back to the exact BAM and FASTQ files you compressed, at any time, for free.